Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Jaime Hayon: My Imaginary Best Design Friend

Quick thought.  Do Jaime Hayon and Marcel Wanders know each other?  Are they best friends in real life?  They might be design twins.  I think Marcel learned a thing or two from Jaime.

Who is Jaime Hayon, you ask?



Jaime Hayon (you probably pronounced that as "Jay-mee Hay-on", but it's actually "Ha-may Hay-on"... true story) is a Spanish designer who is absolutely my #1 influence.  Without a doubt, he puts a smile on my face with whatever he creates, and I think he's exquisite.  Can we also please note how extremely friendly and cute he is?  I saw him in a Dezeen screen one time at the opening of his furniture line (this is how I know it's Ha-May Hay-on:  I was just as baffled).  He's so passionate, excited, and knowledgeable about his product.  He doesn't care to follow with traditions.  His sketches turn to reality just as quickly as Winnie turns to stone at the end of Hocus Pocus.

Here is a very quick summary of Jaime's work, in image form, as words just cannot describe how unique his vision is as a designer.

Jaime invented the term "whimsical."
Camper store: my first introduction to Jaime.
The use of color in this project is so good it hurts.
Graphics. Graphics. Graphics.
I have to admit.  I used to be an avid Karim Rashid fan in my earlier days as a student in our design school.  He was outlandish, and crazy, and graphic.  His work caught my eye.  He was my idol.  Until I found Jaime Hayon while researching Camper stores for a project in fall 2010.  Jaime knows how to use color and graphics in every single thing he produces, which by the way, is just about everything.  Ceramics, furniture, sculpture, interiors, lighting, you name it.

I meant "everything."
Favn for Fritz Hansen.
When the Favn sofa premiered, I was fortunate enough to see it (and sit on it!) in a Scandinavian furniture showroom in Georgetown, DC.  The salesperson, while very knowledgeable about Scandinavian design in general, actually did not know Jaime Hayon's work.  I educated her, and told her she should most definitely check out his projects.  She accepted.  Just trying to spread the word!

Keep doing what you do, Jaime.  I want to be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment