Friday, January 20, 2012

Final for TheLab - 5 weeks later!

I'm late at posting the finals for the corporate office we designed for TheLab NYC... The project ended with a long, long, LONG all-nighter in studio with two of my colleagues. Yes, procrastination at its finest. Unfortunately, I work a lot more efficiently under pressure to finish--but, I find myself cutting corners in the end to make up for lost time.

I'm very pleased with my final renderings and concept. The idea of having cozy dwellings in the middle of the office to imitate a small city came out well. Seeing as I am not in any way, shape, or form, a fan of space planning, I am surprisingly also proud of my floor plan. It's intriguing while being well-organized and efficient. There are some things that could have been changed and fixed toward the end, but time got the best of me and I had to settle.

Graphics are the most important thing to me when I have a project and need to pull the ends together for a final book. Extra diagrams and sketches aided my presentation style.

Reception with Marketing Area
     

Conference Room adjacent to Reception

Resource Library near Senior Offices

Inner Private Office "Neighborhood"


Design Team Workstations near windows
Artwork is by Paul Klee; it was chosen to add even more personality to the interior along with the selection of fabrics chosen for the Kimball furniture. I was surprised with the range of fabric choices available for Kimball's furniture, seeing as the collections themselves are not all that interesting. I was elated to find fun, funky fabrics to use in the seating areas. The fabrics, I feel, really go well with the "hipster" vibe of the office and area in Yaletown.

Around the windows of the design team workstations are also plaster mouldings (arches) around the existing frames of the building, on top of the old brick. This also adds a unique touch while still holding true to the original architecture of the building and time period.

All-in-all, I'm proud of this project and enjoy explaining it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment