Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Image Enhancement & Cities

The first week of this Kimball project, we were told to focus on coming up with a concept statement without even being able to see the floor plan (which, in turn, ended up being just a rectangular old warehouse in Toronto's meatpacking district). How am I supposed to play with parti's and come up with a concept statement if I can't see the floor plan?! This is what I'm used to doing. I believe a floor plan is the essential statement of a space, even though the occupants can't see the plan itself, it serves a purpose. A well-produced plan can help define your concept and design, while guiding you in the directions you should be moving.

Upon exploring the website for TheLab NYC, I got the general gist of marketing/graphics as their profession and what they do best. When I haphazardly stumbled onto their work for the movie Insidious (most terrifying movie I've ever seen), I realized they were more of graphic enhancers. Working on Photoshop, it's clear to know that all images can be enhanced with transparent overlays of the same image in a different layering technique.  I wondered if it was possible to have this same effect on glass partitions throughout the office. From one view point, you could look through multiple layers of transparency and turn separate images into something new. Does CMYK work on glass? Would it have the same effect? I can most definitely portray this through renderings (thank you Photoshop), but I'm not sure it would work in person. Working in SketchUp and moving to Photoshop, I developed this...

Of course, with Mary Blair's artwork swapped out.

I also looked at the juxtaposition of glass and solid matter in a city climate. After seeing this warehouse renovation project, I was inspired to create the same feel in my office. Having all glass walls and only a few solid walls for privacy concerns, would this help in stimulating the workers productivity? They would feel as though they each had their own space in the "neighborhood" of the "city." Their own apartment, if you will. The private offices can be grouped together in little sections based on purpose and use. Marketing, accounting, etc.

Still trying to put together a concept statement that makes sense. The original, as written in my sketchbook:

"Using transparent layers of light, color, and opacity to enhance each other and entice workers to mirror this with collaboration among disciplines."

No comments:

Post a Comment